Alison Golan, Social Media Strategy Expert at Porter Consulting
Every day we have a chance to tell our story, and the businesses that communicate their story well have a better chance at success. If you don’t have a program in place to compile, write and disseminate success stories, I encourage you make that a priority.
If you’ve got happy customers, they probably have a great story to tell. Your job is to tap into that resource and promote it. A well-written success story can help you stand out from your competition by making you memorable. Rudyard Kipling once said, “If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”
Seven rules for successfully telling your story:
- Rule number one – actually tell a story. Grab our attention. Show us the problem/solution. Give us characters, a plot line and some drama.
- Keep it simple. Don’t insist on “marketing hype.” Just tell us about your customer and how your product helped solve their problem.
- Keep it short. One page to two pages is all you need. In this age of tweets, sound bites and bullet points, attention spans are short.
- Don’t sell. Sure, the story has information about your product. But don’t waste time selling. If you write the story well, the results will speak for themselves.
- Give us some facts and figures. We want to hear “feel good” type stuff, such as “We saved time and money.” But then, quantify. “Productivity increased by XX percent.”
- Add compelling images, infographics or charts. Remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Don’t stop at one story. Write a story for every major market. For example, if you sell to the automotive industry, have a success story for that market. Ditto for every other market or type of customer you sell to.
Once you’ve told your story, what do you do with it?
Everything. Post it on your website. Send it to editors. Disseminate it to clients and prospects. Promote it on social media. Great stories make you memorable—and help you sell.
Do you have a great story to tell, but don’t know how to get started? Contact us today at agolan(at)porterconsulting(dot)net.
Alison Golan is a writer, social media consultant, and marketing expert with 20+ years of experience teaching technology companies how to better tell their stories. At Porter Consulting, Alison works with a team of professionals to help companies grow revenue and market share by utilizing the latest marketing and sales methodologies. To read more blogs by Alison, check out Porter Consulting’s blog site at www.porterconsulting.net.